Why does the UND Alumni Association & Foundation exist?
The UND Alumni Association & Foundation prides itself in upholding the original mission of UND’s first eight graduates: to support the ongoing growth and development of the University of North Dakota while keeping classmates in contact with each other and alumni connected to campus.
Should I make my gift to the University of North Dakota Foundation or to UND?
In most cases, you should make your gift to the UND Foundation. All gifts made to the UND Foundation will ultimately benefit the University of North Dakota. There are occasionally gifts that flow into the University of North Dakota endowment. When this does occur, it is because the donor has specifically named the University of North Dakota as the recipient of the gift, usually through a testamentary bequest. In this instance, the donor’s request must be honored because the University of North Dakota and the Foundation are separate legal entities, independent from one another.
The UND Foundation manages the endowment for the University of North Dakota.
How does the UND Foundation acknowledge and steward my gifts?
Every gift receives a tax receipt as confirmation. Online donations also receive acknowledgement. Gifts are stewarded in many different ways, which might include thank you letters from students, deans, and development officers, as well as invitations to special events and recognition in donor listings.
What is the relationship between the University of North Dakota Foundation and the University?
The UND Foundation is the official fundraising and private gift-receiving organization for the University of North Dakota. We work closely with alumni and friends, faculty and staff, and corporations and foundations, and the University to create fundraising programs and opportunities that benefit the University and its excellence in teaching, research, and public engagement.
We strive to increase awareness and generate private support for the University of North Dakota and influence stakeholders to strongly consider the University in their private giving plans; to increase pride in the University of North Dakota among its alumni; and to increase engagement with its different stakeholders and constituent groups.
How is the Foundation funded?
The UND Alumni Association & Foundation operating budget comes from:
- fees paid by the University for fundraising, investment management and associated administrative services
- unrestricted annual gifts
- service contract with the University of North Dakota
What services does the University of North Dakota Alumni Association & Foundation provide to the University?
The UND Alumni Association & Foundation provides central services to support fundraising, endowment growth, administration, compliance, donor stewardship, alumni relations and engagement, special events and other areas. This includes:
- Designing the strategy and process for effective fundraising initiatives
- Planning campaigns
- Conducting feasibility studies
- Supporting programs to raise funds through major, planned, and annual giving
- Providing centralized services that leverage knowledge and intellectual capital and that promote efficient and effective fundraising and development support:
- Annual giving programs (mail, phone, e-solicitation, etc.)
- Expertise in planned giving, real estate, personal property, securities, and gifts-in-kind
- Development marketing
- Development publications, proposals, and communiques
- Development reports
- Events and meeting services
- Prospect research and management
- Gift processing and maintenance of records
- Investment management and distribution of income
- Database management and access
- Providing ongoing fundraising education and training for University staff
- Planning and hosting Homecoming, New Student Orientation, Sioux Awards and other special events
- Writing, designing, and distributing the Alumni Review Magazine that is mailed out quarterly to more than 90,000 alumni, friends, and donors
How is the UND Alumni Association & Foundation governed?
The University of North Dakota Foundation has a board of directors, composed of UND alumni, who serve as the decision-making entity. They approve strategic plans, our annual operating budget, and investment strategies. Day-to-day operations are managed by DeAnna Carlson Zink, CEO of the organization.
How can I let the UND Alumni Association & Foundation know that I've moved?
There are several ways you can keep us up to date on your contact information:
- Online: If you are a registered user of our website, you can update your alumni profile here after you have logged in. If you are not already a registered user, you can update your information during the registration process. Click here to register.
- E-mail: Send an e-mail to email@example.com with your new information.
- Phone: Call us at (800) 543-8764.
How can I obtain a copy of your tax information?
Send your written request to:
Laura Block, Chief Financial Officer
3501 University Ave. Stop 8157
Grand Forks, ND 58202
A copy of our current 990 form
is also available.