Why does the UND Foundation exist?
Quite simply, we exist to raise private funds to provide support to the University of North Dakota. Our sole purpose is to serve the University of North Dakota.
Should I make my gift to the University of North Dakota Foundation or to UND?
All gifts made to the UND Foundation will ultimately benefit the University. There are occasionally gifts that flow into the University of North Dakota endowment. When this does occur, it is because the donor has specifically named the University of North Dakota as the recipient of gift, usually through a testamentary bequest. In this instance, the donor’s request must be honored because the University of North Dakota and the Foundation are separate legal entities, independent from one another.
However, due to the public nature of the University, details of gifts made directly to UND are subject to public disclosure. Also, the University is limited as to how they can invest direct contributions.
How does the UND Foundation acknowledge and steward my gifts?
Every gift receives a tax receipt as confirmation. On-line donations also receive acknowledgement. Gifts are stewarded in many different ways, which might include thank you letters from students, College deans, and development officers, to invitations to special events and recognition in donor listings.
What is the relationship between the University of North Dakota Foundation and the University?
The Foundation is an independent, tax-exempt organization. Its mission is to promote and further the development of the University by raising, managing, and disbursing private funds for University programs. The partnership between the Foundation and University represents a spirit of dedication that ensures your gifts are used efficiently and for the greatest benefit.
How is the Foundation funded?
The UND Foundation operating budget, and likewise the UND Alumni Association, comes from
- fees paid by the University for fundraising, investment management and associated administrative services
- unrestricted annual gifts
What services does the University of North Dakota Foundation provide to the University?
As the central fundraising agency for the University of North Dakota, the Foundation provides central services to support fundraising, endowment growth, administration, compliance, donor stewardship, and other areas. This includes:
- Designing the strategy and process for effective fundraising initiatives
- Planning campaigns
- Conducting feasibility studies
- Supporting programs to raise funds through major, planned, and annual giving
- Providing centralized services that leverage knowledge and intellectual capital and that promote efficient and effective fundraising and development support:
- Annual giving programs (mail, phone, e-solicitation, etc.)
- Expertise in planned giving, real estate, personal property, securities, and gifts-in-kind
- Development marketing
- Development publications, proposals, and communiques
- Development reports
- Events and meeting services
- Prospect research and management
- Gift processing and maintenance of records
- Investment management and distribution of income
- Database management and access
- Providing on-going fundraising education and training for University staff
How is the UND Foundation governed?
The University of North Dakota Foundation has a board of directors, comprised of UND alumni, who serve as the decision-making entity. They approve strategic plans, our annual operating budget, and investment strategies. Day-to-day operations are managed by the CEO and Executive Director, Tim O'Keefe, who also has management responsibility for the UND Alumni Association.
Can I obtain a copy of your tax information?
Certainly. Send your written request to:
Laura Block, CFO
3100 University Ave. Stop 8157
Grand Forks, ND 58202